Perfect for the week between Pentecost Sunday and Trinity Sunday! And the seven words of Pentecost? COME, HOLY SPIRIT, AND FILL OUR HEARTS!
"...the forgiveness of sins" (Third Article).
The Gospel, in every way, is about the word give. It shows up in the central teaching of Christianity: Forgiveness. And the entire Gospel can be grasped by asking and answering five questions.
1. What (or whom) does the Father give? Answer: the Son.
2. What does the Son give? Answer: His life.
3. What (or whom) do the Father and the Son together give? Answer: the Holy Spirit.
4. What then does the Holy Spirit give? Answer: Faith, hope, and love into our hearts. [Faith that sees the cross, hope that sees the resurrection, and love that sees one another and all people.]
5. And finally what does love give? Answer: Joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
Now give these five questions a little bit of your time this week, remembering the seven words of the crucified-risen Jesus: "Take heart, child, your sins are forgiven" (Matt. 9:2).